This is a recipe for the best mushroom herb couscous and it will hit the spot as the weather turns cooler.
Ever since the quarantine hit our family has been eating more meatless meals. I keep perfecting hearty options that fill you up and leave you satisfied and this Mushroom Herb Couscous does just that. Couscous, a tiny pasta made of wheat or barley, is the perfect base for so many meals.
This couscous recipe can be used with any grain or rice as a substitute.
This recipe builds flavor by using mushrooms, sweet shallots, butter and your kitchen’s herb garden. The mushrooms are sautéed separately and added into the mix.
Not a mushroom fan?
Use any sautéed or roasted veggie in it’s place. The flavor of the couscous is delicious enough to eat as a side as well.
For your herb selection you can use any combination you love. This recipe called for chopped basil, chives, thyme and parsley. You can also add oregano, mint or any other herbs available to you. Chopped rosemary with EVOO would also be a delicious combo for this couscous recipe.
Couscous is the perfect base for so many things! Any roasted veggie or roasted chicken would taste delicious. You can also turn couscous into a salad with greek olives, cucumber, tomato and feta.
Couscous is very quick cooking, about 5 minutes.
Couscous is plant based and does not use any animal derivatives however this recipe calls for chicken broth. If you’d like to make it vegan omit the chicken stock and use water or vegetable broth.
Try these other hearty recipes:
- 1 Cup Golden or Pearl Couscous
- 1 and 1/4 Cup Chicken Stock
- 8 medium size Mushrooms
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Shallot, minced
- Assorted Herbs, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Slice mushrooms, chop and dice all herbs, garlic and shallot.
- Over medium low heat, saute shallot, garlic and mushrooms utnil golden about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring to boil couscous, chicken stock and butter. Remove from heat and cover. Fluff with a fork.
- Add in the fresh chopped herbs, a dash of EVOO and mushrooms. Gently stir.
- Serve warm and enjoy!