I feel compelled to share this recipe for mashed sweet potatoes with you because…Thanksgiving is coming! Thanksgiving is coming! Weren’t we just in the slow days of summer? Wow the holidays sure have come quickly this year!
While I get it…turkey is the star of the show, I’m usually piling my plate high with Thanksgiving sides. These mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish, light and savory, to go along side your bird. Add a little extra butter if you’d like. So simple you can’t go wrong.
What are you making or bringing to Thanksgiving Dinner this year?
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped plus a few sprigs for garnish
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil potatoes until tender.
- Drain water and place potatoes in large mixing bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- In a small skillet combine butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook until the butter starts to brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in the finely chopped thyme leaves.
- Add in milk, salt and pepper to sweet potatoes.
- Mash with mixer, fork or potatoes masher until desired consistency.
- Pour in butter mixture and gently fold in and stir once.
- Garnish with thyme leaves and serve.