Although Thanksgiving is over, I decided to add this recipe to the blog by popular demand! I am loving Instagram Polls. So many of you voted YES to sharing this recipe so here it is. This was actually the first time I made this recipe by request of my family. Cinnamon scents ran through my whole house while this was in the oven.
Mom Tip** Enlist your small child to help you PERFECTLY line up the marshmallows on top. Not because they need to be perfect, but because it will keep your little one busy. Wink wink 😉 While the top did brown, we also used a small kitchen torch to give the top on the marshmallows a fire camp roasted look. Besides, what’s more fun that lighting things on fire in the kitchen!?
This recipe is super easy to toss together. I even put aside some plain sweet potatoes for Olivia our Yorkie. EVERYONE in the family ate this recipe right up!
- 4-5 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 4 Tablespoons of butter
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees. Spray a medium size casserole or baking dish with cooking spray or grease accordingly. Set aside for later.
- Place the Sweet Potatoes in a large pot and cover with water cold water.
- Boil over high heat until softened. About 15 mins.
- Drain and let cool slightly.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add in sugar, butter, vanilla, spices and salt.
- Mash or use an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Using a spatula, transfer the potato mixture into your baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- Top with mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until marshmallows are browned on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!