Just before the official start of fall, we hit the orchards and came back with 56 apples, 7 different varieties. The baby went crazy again learning that you could pick fruit from a tree and Bailey ran around to find the best apples and have Joey hoist her up to get them. The best ones are always at the top!
The next day we made Apple Pie but when we cough cough…ate…too much of the pie dough for my 9 inch pie plate…I quick transformed it into Apple Crisp. Mixing apple pie filling with quick oats makes for a crisp and easy dessert.
We went a little overboard on apple picking but had plenty to share, go around and bake with. Grab some apples, slice them up and you’re in business with Apple Crisp within 30 minutes.
- 6 apples; peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- Place sliced apples in a baking dish.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour on top of of the apples covering them all.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream.