This is a recipe for the best homemade Mac and Cheese.
While a box of Kraft will always bring good vibes, nothing beats the luxury of homemade Mac and Cheese. This recipe for the Best Homemade Mac and Cheese is easy enough and will have you wondering why you don’t make this more often.
Here are the key ingredients in my homemade Mac and Cheese.
- Small Shaped Pasta
- Whole Milk
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Bread Crumbs
- Dry Mustard
You can cook the pasta the day before or early to get that step out of the way for a prep ahead. Be sure to cook the pasta al dente so it doesn’t over cook when you go to bake the pasta. In order to ensure it’s al dente, cook per the instructions. I always remove the pasta from heat a minute prior to the time to ensure it’s al dente.
Try my other top rated pasta dishes:
This recipe calls for Cheddar as a standard but a blend of cheeses is best! I used the Cabot Mac and Cheese Blend. I found that using high quality shredded cheese is best. This blend is the perfect flavor.
You can easily use already cooked pasta and prep ahead. Then pop in this dish when you’re ready to serve!
Brocoli, Lobster Meat, Bacon, Peas and Carrots, Chopped ham or chicken are always a good idea!
Put the frozen dish right into the oven. Ensure you used an oven safe dish. Do not thaw it prior to baking it.
- 1 lb small shaped pasta
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups mixed sharp cheddar cheese or Mac and Cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil a large pot of water with salt. Cook pasta al dente per the directions. Do not over cook pasta. Drain and set aisde in a large bowl.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in mustard and flour. Continuously stiring, pour in the milk. Whisk to ensure no lumps and until the sauce thickens.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the sauce to the pasta bowl and fold through until combined.
6. Transfer into a casserole or oven safe dish.
7. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and parsley on top.
8. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The cheese will be bubbly and breadcrumbs golden.
* do not overcook your pasta or it will get mushy in the oven.
* the sauce should be thick enough to coat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.